Monday, July 27, 2009

Carrots!

Carrots were harvested yesterday. Scarlet Nantes. Delicious. There’s nothing better than seeing my son pull them up and his little sister eating them with the foliage attached. She looked like a little bunny. It is so satisfying grabbing on to a handful of leafy foliage and pulling out a beautiful orange carrot. I think I enjoy it just as much as my son did. But now what should I do with all those carrots? I know. I’ll freeze them. I use this simple process:

Freezing Carrots:
1. Remove the foliage and clean the carrots.
2. Chop them into pieces.
3. Blanch them in boiling water for two minutes and drain them in a colander.
4. Immediately pour them into a large bowl of ice water for two more minutes.
5. Drain them in the colander once again.
6. Pat them dry in a clean dishtowel.
7. Toss them into Ziploc freezer bags and use a straw to suck out as much air as possible...or

use a food saver.
8. Freeze them.
9. Feel really proud that you harvested and saved your own carrots!

No comments:

Post a Comment