Thursday, June 25, 2009

I've Got Cowlick's!

This week has finally brought us some hot and sunny weather. The tomatoes are taking off! They are lush. My KBX tomato is nearing the size of a tennis ball. Constoluto Genovese now has three tomatoes on it. In fact, everything but my Opalkas and Cherokee Green plants have tomatoes on them. I just came back in from checking on their progress. By far my most anticipated tomato this year will be Cowlick's Brandywine. I've never tried an heirloom tomato before, but everyone knows their great reputation for taste. I hear that Cowlick's is one of the best, if not the best Brandywines for productivity and taste. I can't wait to try one!

I think the hydrogen peroxide treatment is keeping the bacterial speck from spreading too quickly. I've treated all of the plants three times so far to help keep it in check (they all have shown signs of speck to different degrees). I've also been removing diseased foliage as needed. Despite this, all of the plants are doing well.

Overall assessment: It's a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment