Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bumblebee on bolting Golden Acre cabbage flowers.My bed of Yukon Gold and Red Norland potatoes. There are two Mucho Nacho jalapeno and two Fat N' Sassy pepper plants in the bed. Yesterday I added more straw mulch around the growing potatoes to keep them from turning green. Then I added even more straw around the strawberry plants to keep the berries away from the soil.
I purchased seed for Common Milkweed. Asclepias syriaca. Only one of them germinated. I hope it not only survives, but thrives and multiplies.Nepeta Walkers Low. It may be low but it sure isn't petite. This ONE plant that I added last summer is at least 4 feet wide. This is after I used a shovel to slice off a large chunk to plant out front. The bumblebees are absolutely loving it!Yesterday I placed some clothespins on the dwarf fruit trees I planted in the fall. It may not be attractive, but it will help with maintaining wide angles for the scaffolds. This is my dwarf Golden Delicious apple tree.I found apple aphid clusters on the new foliage of this apple tree. Their buddy, an ant, was hanging out with them. I didn't want to dig out the hose and haul it around the house to blast them off with water. I couldn't find my spray bottle either. What to do? Improvise. My kids' squirt guns came in handy. Not as good as a hose, but it slowly worked.

2 comments:

  1. Everything is looking nice and healthy..I planted a Red Delicious last year and this year I see about 3-4 apples on it ..but the Fugi is just growing big with no bloom or apple..here's wishing us both luck :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to you too!

    There will be no apples for me this season, but I expected that. There were nothing but stubs for branches when it arrived. I'm hoping to get a taste of one next season. This season I'm just looking forward to it growing some nice branches. With the nice dose of sunshine that we're finally getting, I think it will be quite happy.

    ReplyDelete