Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Butterflies, ID help, butterfly weed, fruit and harvests

Temperatures are reaching the 90s for a second straight day. I'm finding the heat and high humidity oppressive, but it's not stopping the butterflies from frolicking around!
ID me please! This is a free plant my son brought home a few weeks ago for Earth Day. I was wondering if anyone knew what type of tree it is and how tall it could get. My guess it's a pine...of some sort....
A close-up of the tips of the branches. Can someone ID me please?
I have had a lot of difficulty germinating the Asclepias syriaca (Common milkweed) seed that I bought on eBay. Only one of the first batch I planted germinated. That would be the one I have in a large container by itself. I decided to take my chances and use the paper towel method on the few remaining seeds. I dampened a paper towel, tossed the seeds onto the paper, and placed it inside a Ziploc bag in a window with bright, primarily indirect light. Another one germinated after about a week and a half. I carefully removed this one from the paper towel (it came right off) and planted it with the taproot covered in a small peat pot with potting soil.
Carmine Jewel Bush Cherry from Gurneys that I received last week. Self-pollinating.
Daily mixed shelling pea and strawberry harvest.

5 comments:

  1. You definitely have a little pine tree that will grow up too be quite tall 15-20 feet or more. The Birds brought one to my house and Cecil planted it in the back yard near the Cactus, (check out my blog to see it) I can't give you the correct Pine Tree name , but it grows and looks like it has Candles on the branches...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can live with one that is 15-20 feet. I was worried that it might be a GIANT. After searching online, some pines could reach 100 feet tall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This heat is a bit too much. Our strawberries are ripening too! The new ones that I planted this year are absolutely wonderful!

    Hopefully the heat will end some time tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those butterflies look like cabbage moths/butterflies to me, and it looks like they're mating - not a good sign. They prefer brassicas for laying their eggs on, but they'll lay on other things if need be, and their little green caterpillar offspring can eat entire plants if there are enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They were definitely mating. Every season we have a ton of them flying around, but they never seem to do any harm. I watched one lay eggs on my nasturtium last season. The kids found it very exciting. Especially when they are doing their in-flight ballet. They are welcome to my garden...as long as they don't devour all my peas.
    :)

    ReplyDelete