Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spring Bulbs

Rip Van Winkle Daffodil
Planted last fall. These were purchased because the Tete-a-Tete daffodils I wanted were sold out. These aren't as cute, although they are also miniature in stature. They always have a not-quite-open look to them.
Anemone blanda
My neighbor passed away last year. She had a beautiful garden. Her lovely, highly fragrant peonies and these blue flowers were among my favorites. I had asked her what these blue flowers were, but she didn't know. They were a gift from an old friend. Every spring I would admire her beautiful blue flowers. It wasn't until a few days ago that one of these lovely flowers was found blooming on my side of her hedge! It was such a gift! I quickly transplanted it into my garden bed in front of the house. It transplanted without missing a beat. I found out recently, with some research, that this is anemone blanda. Armed with this knowledge, I ordered 100 of these in the variety 'Blue Shade' to hopefully decorate my early Spring garden beds for years to come.
Tete-a-Tete Daffodils
A lovely miniature in their second season. I wanted to purchase more last season, but they were sold out. Instead I purchased Rip Van Winkle instead....unfortunately.

2 comments:

  1. What a nice little story about your anemone blanda. Your neighbor was thinking of you... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great find. My neighbors have been pulling out all of the previous plantings, so I'm glad that this little treasure has found a safe home. Unfortunately it was too late for her peonies. I would have loved to give them a new home in my yard. The smell was fantastic. On a positive note, the anemone blanda seems to have transplanted without missing a beat. Phew!

    ReplyDelete