Monday, April 6, 2009

Tomato Starting Tip For Small Gardens

After you have started tomatoes you should continue to put them into larger pots as they grow. Each time planting them deeper than they were in the pot before. Since I only have room for about 12 plants a season I found a way that works very well. When starting my tomatoes I use a 3" peat pot. I fill it 1/4 of the way with a potting mix. Then I fill it to the middle with a sterile seed starting mix. Plant your seeds with it only half full. Just be sure that you put your grow lights close to the pots. Once the tomatoes have grown several inches over the edge of the pot fill it to the top with potting soil. Roots will form along the buried stem. By the time you plant your tomatoes outside you should have a strong root system to support your plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment