Monday, March 16, 2009

Venturing into the World of Heirlooms

This season is bound to be an exciting...and hopefully tasty one. Most of the seeds have been planted and are under lights. I thought I would first start by listing some of the main crops I am growing this year.

Tomatoes - One of each unless otherwise noted.
Black Krim
Celebrity (a hybrid)
Cherokee Green
Cherokee Purple
Constoluto Genovese
Cowlick's Brandywine
Gold Nugget
KBX
Opalka...three of them
Sandul Moldovan

Peppers
Fat n' Sassy Bell Peppers (a hybrid)
Anaheim Chili Peppers (still waiting on my order of seeds)
Mucho Nacho Jalapenos (a hybrid)

Melons
Bush Sugar Baby watermelon
Minnesota Midget muskmelon (still waiting on my order for seed for these also)
Bit O'Honey muskmelon (keeping my fingers crossed on finding seed for this melon. It is commercially extinct, but still alive with some Seed Savers Exchange members.)

Garlic - My first time growing garlic. It was planted in mid-October and is already up and growing for the season. They are all currently 3-4 inches tall. They somehow survived the squirrels relentless digging and occasional replanting.
Chesnok Red
German Hardy White
Killarney Red
Music
Silver Rose
Spanish Roja

In my new raised beds I will be growing the following:
'Little Gem' romaine lettuce
'Jericho' romaine lettuce
'Tango' celery
'Cherry Belle' radishes
'Scarlet Nantes' carrots


FOR THE BUTTERFLIES AND HUMMINGBIRDS
I have removed a nice section of lawn to be designated as a new butterfly/hummingbird garden. Just off to the side of my back porch, it will be filled with nectar and host plants for my winged visitors. Seeds that I have or will be starting for this garden are as follows:

'Torch' mexican sunflower
'Lady in Red' and 'Coral Nymph' Salvia coccinea
'Moss Curled' parsley - *host plant for black swallowtails
'Butterfly Mix' pentas
'Queen Mix' cleome
An unknown tall zinnia mix
'Will Rogers' Zinnia

OTHER CHANGES IN THE GARDENS
This year other changes will be occurring with the perennials. New cultivars will be going in. Old ones may have a meeting with the composter. Just to list a few:

Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' - great bloomer, terrible for attracting butterflies. It will be replaced with Gloriosa Daisies.

I am adding the following:
'Raspberry Wine' monarda
'Huskers Red' penstemon
'Lady Emma Hamilton' David Austin Shrub Rose- yellow and apricot blooms, dark foliage
'Golden Zest' Shrub Rose - lemon scented- Can't wait to smell this one!
'Sunshine Blue' caryopteris - I'm hoping the bees and butterflies will love this one!

Well, there's an overview of the main things going on in the garden this year. Stay tuned. Pictures will be up soon.
HAPPY GARDENING EVERYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment