Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Prairie Fire Crabapple---Ants!!!


My Prairifire crabapple tree was delivered with a container full of carpenter ants about two weeks ago. It was raining and they scurried away when we were planting so we thought nothing more of it. Well the ants are back to swarming around the base of the tree. The nursery said that the damage in this picture was probably just from where the tree was grafted. I'm no expert, but I don't think it should have bark chipping off of it and be all cracked up like it is. I'm waiting for the nursery to look at the photo and get back to me. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. =( It will make it. How is it looking now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ants have dispersed. Although there were a few leaves that I found on the ground, it does appear to be leafing out and getting wider. That's a good sign.

    ReplyDelete